Sunday, January 12, 2014

A summary of bacon

It is actually quite embarrassing documenting our bacon intake. The kids are a bit obsessed with it at the moment and ask for it every weekend. I think they are making up for lost time.  I picked up a few different low sodium name brands lately, so I thought I would compare...
3.8mg/g
5mg/g


Here is the summary from best to worst broken down into mg per gram as the serving size varies per name brand:

2.7mg/g  Kirkland brand photo here
3.8mg/g Western Family photo above
4mg/g Safeway Select photo here
5mg/g Maple Leaf photo above

2 comments:

  1. Bacon just seems to make everything taste better, don't you think? Well, almost everything. I think the Kirkland brand from Costco is the best low sodium option. It's lower in sodium than most of the other brands I've encountered and still available. I've tried the Safeway brand too, but unfortunately my local store stopped stocking it. That's one of the frustrations of following a low sodium diet. Sometimes a great new product is discontinued by the manufacturer or your local stores stop carrying it. Thanks for keeping tabs on the various options available. It's good to know there is more than just one brand of low sodium bacon out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bacon really does make everything taste better =)
    We are really lucky, the Thrifty's Grocery Store chain's house brand Compliments has a ton of low sodium options and they are working to produce more, including deli items.
    But I suppose you have Trader Joe's, which we don't have and they have quite a few options as well.
    It is frustration that low sodium items do seem to pop up and disappear quite often, so shopping often requires many stops.

    ReplyDelete